Thursday 7 January 2021

on being human

No one can escape suffering. But maybe the point is we are not meant to. We are meant to feel the pain so that we can understand ourselves, our trigger points and what makes us vulnerable. Maybe the pain is supposed to teach us how to protect ourselves and those around us the next time? 

Maybe the point is to appreciate the happier, calmer, even the more mundane times when we are not suffering? 

But, oh how conveniently, we forget one when the other comes for a visit.

I am trying to tell myself that I am not special for feeling pained or feeling happy. But when you are suffering or happy then you can only see yourself and feel yourself. That's when you start taking centre stage like never before. The shadow of your doom grows, grows, grows. It is immense and easily dwarfs you. The sweet happy emotions, when they come, rush in to envelop you tightly. It's like you were never miserable.

I guess that's also when you either feel defenceless or invincible.

No one can escape their feelings. And suffering is a condition of the human being.

No comments:

Post a Comment

my sweet boys, I miss you

 Do you ever think of your pets who are no longer with you? I think of our dog - our energetic, unruly boy who was unfortunate enough to be ...