Monday 31 May 2021

what job rejections teach you

 So, it came. The much awaited response to a particularly anticipated job application.

The answer - a standard rejection via email. Thanks for applying but no, thanks. Please keep in touch.













There goes my dream. 

Felt my heart squeeze. This has been just a series of ghosting and rejections from all the companies I've applied to.

But here are some of the things I've learned after each rejection -

  1. I don't need to tick off all the qualifications in order to apply. In the past, I would apply only if I met at least 90% of the requirements.
  2. I don't need to be intimidated by the salary they are offering. The fact that they are offering a package that seems really great doesn't mean I don't deserve it or that I am not qualified for it. I am!
  3. I can expand my job application. I have picked up various skills over the years. So I can take a slight detour and apply for roles that are different to the ones I've pursued in the past. 
  4. Life goes on - rejections are not the end of life as we know it. So, yes, I will dust myself off and continue.


*In the meanwhile, it is okay to take a day or two to marinate in a soup of sadness and despair. Because rejections sting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

my sweet boys, I miss you

 Do you ever think of your pets who are no longer with you? I think of our dog - our energetic, unruly boy who was unfortunate enough to be ...