Sunday 5 July 2020

'small but certain happiness'


a truth we cannot escape from is the fact that our lives can get tedious at times. 

we get so caught up in the business of living -  which is sometimes only about surviving - it is forgivable to assume life is nothing but a chore. but if we are vigilant, we can recognise small moments of pure bliss that flit through our days. when I am able to distinguish those moments I make an attempt to offer my thanks to the universe.



my list of small but certain happiness (inspired from Haruki Murakami's 1986 essay 'Afternoon in the Islets of Langerhans') will always find new additions but for now, they look like this.
  • coming back home after a tiring commute
  • slipping into fresh sheets after a refreshing shower
  • looking at my new-still-with-tags clothes 
  • my eyeliner turning out great on the first try
  • making someone laugh (intentionally.....lol)
  • cool breeze at the end of a hot evening
  • running my hands through clean hair
  • finding out I've lost some weight
  • realising the drama I'm just starting to watch is extremely enjoyable
  • catching the early bus or train as soon as I reach the station
  • buying gifts for my family
  • drinking hot tea while the rain is pouring outside
  • that excitement when I think of certain books and dramas 
  • seeing the evening sky awash in majestic colours
  • being alone in the house
  • finding a shade from the hot sun
  • applying the perfect shade of lipstick
  • stumbling across something very interesting to read on social media
  • cooking alone while blasting loud music or listening to a podcast
  • finally completing a tediously long book
  • completing all my chores, taking a shower and getting to rest in my bed
  • a nice conversation with a friend
  • finding out my dad doesn't need help with emails or stuff.....👌
these are small moments but I get to experience peace and comfort through them.






No comments:

Post a Comment

my sweet boys, I miss you

 Do you ever think of your pets who are no longer with you? I think of our dog - our energetic, unruly boy who was unfortunate enough to be ...