Saturday 30 May 2020

a foreign problem in a foreign land

around the end of last year, I come across an article where the writer was discussing whether it is important to seek a therapist who understands your culture. this has stuck with me and is one of the core reasons why i hesitate to go to therapist here in the UK.

how do you explain to a British therapist why your Asian roots and upbringing seem to be a burden? what guarantee can you get that your problems, which perhaps are not of the universal variety, will find a practical solution or guide from the therapist whose experiences and belief system are very different to yours? this is a very sobering thought. the nuances of culture and tradition are hard to explain to somebody who hasn't lived them or even knows what they are. so how can I expect help?


No comments:

Post a Comment

my sweet boys, I miss you

 Do you ever think of your pets who are no longer with you? I think of our dog - our energetic, unruly boy who was unfortunate enough to be ...