Wednesday 29 April 2020

you lived well, Irrfan. rest in peace.

Irrfan Khan passed away today. I don't know why but I feel emotional now. I mean I've never felt this sad about the death of a public figure.

Undoubtedly, he was one of the best actors of the Indian film industry. He easily straddled between commercial and indie cinema, and also successfully worked in both Bollywood and Hollywood films. He had this extremely appealing humour which reflected on his characters and the projects he took up.

People will always remember him for his great attitude. As far as I can recall, there has never been any negative press about him. His colleagues have always had nice things to say about him. Media has always been respectful towards him.

His death has left me thinking. I was scrolling through social media, and there was a long post on Irrfan Khan and his legacy and then below it was a post on gardening and someone else had shared their selfie and someone else had written about their quarantine life. I read about Irrfan's death early this morning but after that initial shock, I also moved on and I was actually feeling good today. Such is the transient nature of life. We might leave an impact but it doesn't really matter, does it?

This Covid-19 has killed many. We don't know who those faceless people are. Did they matter? How much did they matter? Who did they matter to? Our lives go on, whether we are ready to move on or not. We don't have a choice. The only thing on the other side is death and is that the choice we want to make? Yes, perhaps some of us do but then that is an irrevocable step. There's never been anyone to tell us that choice was the best one for that individual and they've never been happier than now that they are dead.

Thank you, Mr Khan. For your humour. For some of the best films. For some of the best AIB videos. For being so fun to watch on screen. For seeming accessible and being aspirational and inspirational. For reinforcing that everything in life is momentary and to try to cherish everything that makes up my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment

my sweet boys, I miss you

 Do you ever think of your pets who are no longer with you? I think of our dog - our energetic, unruly boy who was unfortunate enough to be ...